Saturday, 3 September 2016

THE ALT-RIGHT: A HEARTY COALITION OF THE TERMINALLY DEFIANT


On the night before Hillary Clinton's "Alt-Right" speech last week, I republished an older piece of mine entitled "What the Alt-Right Means To Me." I figured that Mrs. Clinton would likely be dishonest in her presentation of the Alt-Right phenomenon (since, after all, she has proven to be consistently dishonest about absolutely everything else), and I wished to preemptively set the record straight for anyone interested in the truth.

Of course, I composed this article out of a growing sense of self-consciousness at what some may perceive as my own lack of orthodoxy on Alt-Right matters. This, in turn, lent my reposted column a certain ironic pungency. I felt sure that when Hillary insisted that the Alt-Right was just a newfangled front for "white supremacism" (and that "white nationalism" was just another name for white supremacism), many self-pronounced Alt-Righters would in face agree with such an assessment; the only difference would be that where Hillary saw this as a terrible thing, they would view it as a wonderful thing.

My experience with Alt-Rightism, a movement of which I have been a part since 2010, has been different, as I attempted to explain in my article:
I have never been shy to admit the ways in which I might not fit into everyone’s idea of the “alt-right” mold. To wit, I am not a white nationalist (though I apprehend the folly of multiculturalism and strongly oppose the imposition of the “white guilt” psy-op upon the native Occidental populace); I don’t see miscegenation as a sin against the Holy Ghost, or as any kind of sin at all (though I do find the race-mixing propaganda of the powers-that-be thoroughly obnoxious, and observe that there is no shame in people’s natural proclivity to prefer their own kind as mates); I am not hostile to Jews qua Jews (though I recognize the reality of Jewish power and the baleful influence of many contemporary Jewish-led movements); finally, I hew to a universalist morality and recognize an essential unity of men of all races being created in the image and likeness of God (while at the same time acknowledging the obvious existence of biologically-based racial differences).
None of this amounted to me "coming out" as what some may call "alt-right light," because I've never been shy about sharing my beliefs, or interested in soft-pedaling them to appease anyone. Yet my bone fides as a Alt-Right writer are, I think you'd have to agree, quite solid. I wrote prolifically for the old Alternative Right site prior to becoming a regular co-host (along with Colin Liddell) on Richard Spencer's "Vanguard" podcasts.

In 2011, I flew out to South Africa at the expense of Richard's National Policy Institute to spend time among the Afrikaner people, in Orania and elsewhere, in order to write up a piece for the first print issue of Radix, provocatively titled "The Niggers of the Earth" (the "niggers" in question were, ironically enough, those hardy but embattled souls who make up the present-day Boer nation). In 2012, along with Colin, I became a regular co-editor of Alternative Right, a position I retained after Richard pulled the plug on the old site and we moved to our current address on Blogger. (Last year, I stepped down to become assistant editor and Colin became the head honcho here.) I have also had the privilege of having three of my novels published by Greg Johnson, editor-in-chief of Counter-Currents.

*****************************************

Lending my actual name to the Alt-Right brand has caused me to endure personal and professional unpleasantries, to say the least. Friends have un-friended me (both on Facebook and offline), and family members have expressed shock, chagrin, and anger. In 2014, some unknown entity or organization-- I have reason to suspect it was the SPLC-- started a whispering campaign against me, sending surreptitious phone calls to my colleagues at work, in an obvious bid to try to get me reviled and fired. (The revilement largely happened; the firing didn't happen only because I had already taken a position elsewhere and, unbeknownst to my would-be doxers, was in fact merely running out the clock at this job.)
"What's this, an Alt-Righter? DOX HIM!!!!"

All this is to say that I've paid a price for being affiliated with an ideologically outcast group. Those of you who think I can lend myself some saving measure of "plausible deniabilty" by retaining my Catholicism, my stubbornly universalist-oriented morality, my hatred of abortion (including the aborting of non-white babies), my disdain for corny bullying buzzwords like "cuck," my contempt for totalitarian statism, my disinclination to automatically shun the company of blacks and Jews, and whatever other un-kosher deviations I exert from what you presume to be the "correct" Alt-Right set of beliefs and behaviors, I can assure you that our enemies have no regard for such prissy niceties or fine distinctions. To them, opposing mass immigration simply makes a person generally morally equivalent to a concentration camp commandant, and palling around with white nationalists instead of reflexively shunning their company renders a man guilty of would-be genocide by association. The mind of the modern Leftist is one of a rabid Manichean fanatic, which can brook no ambiguity on such matters.

Mind you, I'm not bitching about being "persecuted" or "oppressed." I'm quite aware that the perils I describe come with the territory of dwelling outside of the realm of that which is regarded as "acceptable" opinion. Moreover, I first chose to go under my actual name rather than a pseudonym, knowing full well the grim implications of taking such a gambit. It was then, is now, and has always been a matter of little more than ego, for better or for worse. Simply put: that which I write, and of which I am proud, I wish openly to own. Had I instead chosen to be psudonymous, things would probably have gone easier for me, professionally speaking, but at the same time, such a circumstance would likely have eaten me up inside, since I simply wouldn't have been able to bear the idea that no one would be able to identify me with my work, that a man who doesn't exist (i.e., my pseudonym) would be given all the credit and all of the blame while the actual man (i.e., me) would remain deprived of such acclaim and revilement.

****************************************

Having put in a fair amount of time as an Alt-Right writer, I feel that my perspective represents a section of the movement that isn't getting a lot of play right now. It seems that many are now keen to highlight the white nationalist aspects of Alt-Rightism, or even to claim that the Alt-Right is nothing but straight-up white nationalism, just as the possible next President of the United States (God help us!) declared in her recent Reno rant. Certainly WNism has a place in the larger movement, and those of us who aren't WNs at least sympathize with many WN concerns, but to be Alt-Right is first and foremost an act of brazen and determined defiance against the smelly, spiteful, illiterate, and unimaginative orthodoxies of our putridly small-minded age.

The Alt-Right is in fact larger than any ideology, though it encompasses many; primarily, it is animated by a spirit of vigorous and hearty heresy against all of the nonsensical secular creeds that our supposed betters are attempting to ram into our collective mind; it is, above all else, characterized by a refusal to be shamed for thinking independently. The Alt-Righter scoffs at the tedious epithets slung by social engineers and central planners in an effort to keep the herd in line through intimidation; he only snickers and shrugs when called a racist, a misogynist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, a bigot-- terms grown so shopworn that they have lost their sting, at least to him.

For this reason, I find it difficult to relate to the anti-"entryist" critique that many in the movement now seem to have adopted following Hillary's groundbreaking outing of the Alt-Right brand on August 25. To my mind, anyone willing to flout the dominant liberal-left totalitarian paradigm and stand up for genuine opposition ought to be viewed as an ally, and received with gratitude.

Overconcern with ideological purism, however that purism may be defined, should be the least of our concerns right now. Moreover, the enforcement of some kind of "party line" with an underlying threat to "purge" the politically unfit, would be counterproductive. What makes the Alt-Right a galvanizing force of no-holds barred dissent is its overarching "broad church" perspective: our shared disgust with the insanity of cultural Marxism and the tyranny of political correctness is what holds us together and lends us strength. As long as our shared enemy retains its tenacious hold on the levers of power, we would be silly to forsake this ragtag, unkempt, rough-around-the-edges, but nevertheless united coalition of the terminally defiant that is the good and great Alternative Right.


Andy Nowicki, assistant editor of Alternative Right, is the author of eight books, including Under the NihilThe Columbine PilgrimConsidering Suicide, and Beauty and the Least. He occasionally updates his blog when the spirit moves him to do so. Visit his Soundcloud page.

No comments:

Post a Comment