Thursday, 20 October 2016

INTRO TO THE ALT-RIGHT (1): HANNIBAL BATEMAN


As is true of “conservatism” and “progressivism,” many different ideologies—complementary or otherwise—exist under the banner of the Alternative Right. The intention of this series is to provide the reader with thumbnail introductions to a variety of Alt Right personalities and their ideas. The questions are straightforward and aimed at the core. My hope is that, through the respondents’ answers, the rest of us will better see ourselves, and understand what we want.

The first subject of this series is Hannibal Bateman, managing editor of Radix Journal.

Briefly describe your journey to the Alt Right.

Like a lot of people in the Alt Right, I’m an ex-libertarian. Though I’ve always had a soft spot for traditionalism and a healthy mistrust of ‘egalitarianism”. In fact, it was probably stumbling across Rothbard’s essay “Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature” years ago that started me down this path. In addition to that, my educational background included a lot of the German philosophers like Kant, Fichte, Hegel, Nietzsche and Heidegger.

I suppose there was always a mental battle in me between classical liberalism and Nietzscheanism, that ultimately resulted in the victory of the latter. Personally though I was deeply affected by the suicide of Dominique Venner. At that time I was disillusioned with the mainstream right and had been reading a variety of works by Julius Evola and others. But it was the death of Venner, the Western samurai, that really roused me from slumber and into action.

His note was a call to action which as I said, jolted me. It wasn’t long after that, that I made certain contacts which brought me into what was then the Alternative Right, which was a vastly different landscape to what it is now.

It’s been quite the journey, but as always one must embrace the struggle and laugh with fate instead of against it.

The Alt Right is an umbrella term covering several different ideologies and sub-ideologies. Whether it be big or small, an ideological or a factual belief, what is your personal pet issue?

Outside of the struggle for our people’s lands and against the great replacement, I suppose my main issues are more esoteric. I’m interested in what a “Post-enlightenment” world based on a hierarchic society would look like, in particular what its myths and religions would be. I’ve always been struck by that quote from Heidegger that “only a god can save us.”

In a lot of ways, I think that’s true but that we live in a time before myth re-enters the world. I don’t know exactly what a new mythos would look like. I tend to read and meditate on a lot of Homer and Virgil but it’s a process that’s in a state of becoming more than anything else. Even if you look at somewhat absurd things like “Esoteric Kekism” or meme magic, there’s a certain logic to it that I find interesting.

For instance, the meme essentially functions like a rune. It’s a form of understanding that’s not written, but experienced and visualized. In this way it’s sort of a harbinger of the “post-enlightenment”, with the enlightenment being so based around literacy, the word etc. It’s replacement most likely will be the opposite.

[See “Esoteric Populism,” written by Bateman last month.]

What strand of Alt Right thinking do you most dislike/disagree with, and why?

Ultimately, it would have to be a lot of the Paleoconservatives and older style traditionalists. I come out of that world and appreciate a lot of their aesthetic sensibilities, but I think that they have become “beautiful losers” to use Sam Francis’ terminology. I don’t think there is anything left to conserve in our post-modern techno-dystopia and that we need to be radicals and think radically about solutions instead of just tradcons who are wise on race.

I guess a subset of this would be the bunker mentality. I don’t think that packing up, moving to the hills and waiting for ‘the happening’ is a good mindset. We need to challenge our enemies in our cities, in our neighborhoods, using any method we have. Retreating just means more lost ground. Moreover, I don’t think it’s healthy to spend too much time thinking in the siege mindset.

That being said, it is very useful to learn real survival skills, know how to use firearms, fishing, hunting etc. But we don’t live under Red Dawn yet, and we shouldn’t drive ourselves insane/make ourselves unhappy when we don’t have to. After all, our enemies love our misery. Our people should be joyful divisions. We have laugh in the face of what’s happening if only to signal, that our spirits aren’t broken

Lightning Round:


Greeks or Romans?
Greeks. I think the European soul is in Homer.

European Imperium or the Ethnostate?
Imperium. Like Mosley, Yockey, Faye, and others I believe in the dream.

Blacks or Jews?
Aesthetically, I suppose I find blacks less appealing. But my head knows the role of Jews in White dispossession so I suppose it would be blacks over Jews.

Salon or National Review?
Salon, Camille Paglia is worth the entire stable of NR writers.

Batman or James Bond?
Batman

Clint Eastwood or John Wayne?
Charles Bronson


 

No comments:

Post a Comment